Before you put your house on the market, get to know your competition, the market and make sure your house is looking its best. Here are some tips to help you figure out what to do before you sell, and how to attract buyers’ attention.
PREPARE YOUR PROPERTY (& YOURSELF!)
Disassociate Yourself From Your Home.
- Get mentally prepared to move forward – you are selling property, your next purchase will become “home”
- Picture yourself handing over the keys to the new owners!
- Don’t look backwards - look toward the future
- Get an experienced, approachable real estate sales expert on side
Make Minor Repairs
- Replace cracked floor or counter tiles
- Patch holes in walls
- Fix leaky faucets
- Fix doors that don’t close properly, drawers that jam, broken window catches etc
- Consider painting your walls neutral colours
- Replace burned-out light bulbs
MAKE THE HOUSE SPARKLE!
- Wash windows inside and out
- Invest in water-blasting to remove moss and debris from driveways, footpaths, gutters and roof
- Clean out cobwebs and dust
- Re-caulk tubs, showers and sinks
- Clean/polish faucets, mirrors, shower doors, bath and make sure toilet is clean and lid is down
- Clean/polish refrigerator, dishwasher and oven doors and wipe down cupboard doors
- Vacuum daily
- Hang up fresh towels
- Steam clean carpets, polish/wax wood floors, shake out rugs
- Dust furniture, ceiling fan blades and light fixtures
- Clean and air out any musty smelling areas
CHECK CURB APPEAL
- First impressions are key!
- Ensure verge and garden are tidy and lawn is mowed regularly
- Remove any branches and/or bushes overhanging windows
- Ensure exterior of home is clean and any paint touched up as required
- Brightly coloured plants in tubs or pots can add appeal
- Rubbish and recycling bins are tidy and out of the way
- Check letterbox is clean and tidy too
CHEAP EASY TIPS FOR INSTANT APPEAL
- Add a few healthy, colourful pot plants to living and bedroom areas
- Store bathroom clutter out of sight in drawers and cupboards
- Throw rugs and cushions over beds and furniture add interest and flair
- Fully open curtains, blinds and turn on all the lights
- Invest in a new Welcome Home Mat
- Essential oils, scented candles but not too over-powering
- And yes coffee & fresh baking work wonders!