Have you noticed a slight warmth in the air, a little more light in the evenings, a bud of blossom on the trees..? Without tempting the fate of the weather gods – yes, Spring is definitely in the air. And with less than a month to its official start, it is time to start thinking about the great outdoors – your great outdoors.
Here’s a few garden and outdoor maintenance tips we’ve put together to get you out into the fresh air, and breathing new life into your home and garden.
In the Garden:-
If you love new potatoes with your Christmas dinner (yes… Christmas!!), then now is the time to begin sprouting seed potatoes. They need to be planted in September for a December harvest. Start sowing summer veges like tomatoes, beans, lettuce, silverbeet and beetroot. Divide up established rhubarb. Get berries, especially strawberries, in quick so they start fruiting as soon as possible. Plant fruit trees with plenty of compost/sheep pellets. Plant summer bulbs now like Dahlias, Gladioli & Begonia and add instant colour to your garden with pansies, violas, primulas, polyanthus, and snap dragons
Around the House:-
Many of us get ready for a “Spring Clean” inside our homes this time of year, but checking the outside of your home is up to scratch is just as important. Here are a few things to look out for:
- Trim back overhanging trees and hedges.
- Check any wood around your home for rot that’s appeared over winter – windowsills, decks, railings, steps, fences etc., and put it on the to do list before it gets worse (and more costly).
- Waterblast patios, decks and driveways to get rid of dirt, moss or mould, or hire a professional to do the entire house, roof and all. It’s amazing the difference this refresh will make.
- Check gutters and downpipes are free of debris, holes and cracks.
- Give outside living areas a spruce up by attending to decks with sanding, staining and sealing.
- Go over all external walls and check for paint touch-ups required, as well as any potential leaks or holes.
And once you’ve done that, make sure you take time to sit back and enjoy this place you call home. Enjoy a cold glass of something refreshing as you admire your hard work – you’ve earned it!